There’s a widespread view that copper grease, otherwise known as copper slip, should be applied to the back of brake pads to help lubrication and noise prevention. Not so. The need for copper grease has diminished in recent years in line with advances in shim technology.
In fact, its use could have the opposite effect, preventing the shim, the basis of quiet braking, from doing its job. The result is increased noise and judder, as well as possible interference with the electrical systems such as the ABS, ESP wear sensors, etc.
So Why Take the Risk?
- Copper Grease is mineral based and may damage any rubber component that it comes into contact with such as rubber boots, gaiters, seals and O rings, etc.
- Copper Grease is an excellent conductor of heat and when used on the backside of a brake pad can significantly increase heat transfer.
- Copper Grease has poor lubricating properties. It is in fact an anti-seize compound.
- Never use Copper Grease on the back side of a brake disc mounting face as this can increase the Disc run out lead to DTV (Disc Thickness Variation) causing brake judder.
- A good quality non-mineral grease should be used on moving parts only and never applied to the back face of a Brake Pad or mounting face of a Brake Disc.
- Most modern brake pads are supplied with noise fix shims and do not require the use of Copper Grease, which could be detrimental to their performance.
Why choose Delphi brake grease?
Formulated from a non-mineral oil based solution, Delphi’s high performance brake grease (SSB1000) replaces the need for traditional copper-based variants, whilst also reducing noise and preventing squealing.
- Free of copper and acids, avoiding the risk of corrosion.
- Non-conductive eliminating interference with electrical components.
- High pressure stability helping to ensure longer-term lubricating properties.
- Compatible with all metals and most rubber materials for universal application.
- Resistant to high temperatures and water for increased protection.
- Long-lasting protection against corrosion, with no visible residue or staining.
- Supplied in a handy 100ml tube with applicator for easy application (SSB1000).
For a professional brake installation, Delphi brake grease should be applied sparingly to the metalto-
metal contact points between the brake pad and caliper only. But remember, never coat the pad’s friction
material or the surface of the disc, and always keep clear of all rubber parts.